I think it’s safe to say that this year’s festive season is going to be very different from previous years! For many it feels hard to find our usual festive merriment and excitement when we’re faced with travel restrictions, closed restaurants and bars, and the need to think long and hard about money and every penny we’re spending because there’s so much uncertainty with our jobs or businesses.
It all just feels so bah-humbug!
Because of this I hesitated before writing this blog. I really don’t want to add to the doom and gloom by talking about money, but the stark reality for many is that their money situation is out of control! One of the many things my years of experience as a money coach has taught me, however, is that burying your head in the sand is not a helpful or sustainable solution.
No – when it comes to taking control of your money, what’s required is to pull on your big girl/ boy pants and face things head on!
Take action on your money before you’re forced!
It’s such a common trait in humans to not act on things until we’re forced to do so!
We all instinctively know that if we dealt with stuff as it happened (or as quickly as possible, at least) that our lives would be less stressful and run far more smoothly.
Yet we don’t!
Instead, we tell ourselves that we’ll deal with it later. Then when later comes we roll out another excuse for putting it off. Yet, have you ever noticed that the more you put something off the larger that “thing” becomes in your mind? As time ticks by the burden of it gets heavier to carry and feels scarier to deal with, yet we go on feeding the fear by putting it off a little longer!
In the end, whether we like it or not, life has a way of stepping in and forcing us to act. The interesting thing is, once we take action, the “thing” we’ve been putting off or fearing actually takes far less time, courage and effort to deal with than our imagination was having us believe!
Be the puppet master not the puppet
When it comes to money, it’s far better to be the puppet master pulling the strings, than the puppet at the mercy of money controlling you.
Here are some simple but very effective tips you can try that will help you feel more in control of your money.
- Find out exactly what debt you have – how much do you owe on your credit cards? Do you have any loans or store cards? Have you borrowed money? Write it all out and then make a plan to pay some off every week or month.
- What about the car leasing company – could you survive without a car or sell a second vehicle?
- What can you declutter and sell to bring in extra money?
- Can you make a bundle of second-hand clothes and sell them online?
- What are you paying someone else to do that you could do yourself?
- How can you be creative and make your own gifts for the holidays? Get baking and crafting with the kids and make special presents – remember it’s the thought and not the price that counts.
- Do you have a business idea that you could explore? Have you been planning something for ages, but fear is keeping you stuck from releasing it into the world?
- Do you have any subscriptions you no longer use or can live without that you can cancel? Gym? TV channels? Magazines?
- What can you do for someone that they can pay you for?
- How can you make passive income? Even in the hardest of times like we’ve experienced this year, so many new businesses have sprung up. People have followed a passion or thought outside the box in their existing business and created new revenue streams.
One of the things I love to do is find ways to support other businesses. I do it because it brings me so much happiness to see others succeeding. A beautiful and unintentional by-product is that I’m always rewarded in some way for my efforts.
The fact is when we create a win-win, magic happens!
This Christmas I really want to support some of the ladies in my community. Below you’ll see a selection of logos. Why not click on a few, take a look at what these businesses have to offer. Then when you need a gift card or want to support a small business get in touch with them? Remember what goes around, comes around.
If you want to make 2021 the year you take control of your money, take my Money Quiz and book a FREE follow up call with me. I’d love to personalise some tips for you that will really transform your money story in the best ways possible.